Tuesday, April 14, 2009

#1 Party Pleaser Tiramisu

Did you know Tiramisu means “pick me up” and it's a recent addition to Italian cuisine.


Tiramisu is my favourite dessert and it's also my #1 Party Pleaser at potluck parties! I usually make them the night before the party as flavour improves overnight. It is SUPER easy to make, only takes half an hour to prepare, and you don't even need an oven or stove. I remember one time I even made Tiramisu in the office!!! (I was working the night shift and we had nothing to do, boss wasn't around either..hehe)

My recipe here is a bit light and airy and not too sweet. Usually I use Ladyfingers as the cake base, but I made some Lemon Angel Food Cake yesterday, unfortunately they turned out too dry and hard. I thought rather than wasting them, I could use it for Tiramisu! It was a brilliant idea as the cake was perfect for Tiramisu and it was absolutely delicious. You could use sponge cake as well, otherwise Lady fingers will do the same trick.

I won't put up my failed recipe for my Lemon Angel Food Cake, but you should definitely try my #1 Party Pleaser Tiramisu.
Recipe serves 6-8 people.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
3 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
250 g mascarpone cheese (1 small tub)
1 pack Ladyfingers or spongy cake (like my lemon angel food cake)
1 cup Strong black coffee (room temperature)
5 tbsp Kahlua liqueur
1 tbsp Cocoa powder


Instructions:
1) Separate egg yolks and egg white in two separate bowls.

2) Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed (2 mins) until it expanded to a white shiny foam (note: bowl should be dry and cool)

3) Mix the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla in a separate bowl with an electric mixer until they are creamy. Add in the mascarpone cheese and continue mixing until it's a light yellow thick and creamy mixture. (see picture)

4) Fold the egg white mixture into the yellow mixture, but do not overmix. It's ok to have some white foam in the yellow mixture because it's the egg white that makes the Tiramisu light and airy. (see picture)

5) Line the sponge fingers in the bottom of a glass serving bowl (martini glass works well too) and pour in the dark coffee until fingers are completely soaked. They should absorb just enough liquid to flavour them without going soggy or falling apart. Then add a few tablespoons of Kahlua liqueur on the fingers (you can add more depending on your taste). Pour the yellow mascapone mixture on the first layer of soaked fingers.

6) Continue with alternating layers of sponge fingers, coffee, liqueur and mascarpone, finishing with a top layer of mascarpone.

7) Sift the cocoa over the top layer. Chill in the freezer the night before and defrost in refrigerator 2 hours before serving.

2 comments:

Dizzy Antelope said...

you had kahlua on your late shift? :D

Loops said...

wooohoo you finally shared you secret!!! Hey you should check out shanghai street near Yau Mei Tai to get baking stuff...cheaper and lots of choices.