Friday, April 24, 2009

My Ramen Obsession

I think Ramen is one of those foods that I will never get tired of eating. As you can tell from my Ramen picture collection, I have a Ramen obsession!!!


In my opinion, it's such good comfort food, not only does it fill your stomach quickly, I feel warm and fussy afterwards and I especially crave for it in the winter time! I've tried many different kinds of Ramen in the past, in different parts of Japan - Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka and Sapporo. Sapporo is known for its rich Miso soup, topped with seafood i.e scallops. Tokyo style is with the Shoyu (soy sauce) or Shiyo (salt) soup whereas Fukuoka is known for its rich creamy Tonkotsu (pork bone) soup.


It's so hard to decide which one I like best, I guess it depends on my mood that day. I usually choose Miso when I feel tired and want something to wakeup my taste bud a bit. Shiyo and Shoyu are a bit lighter in taste, so I usually choose those in summer time, when I don't want to feel too full. Tonkotsu is the best for winter time I think. It's got pork fat and its creamy soup base is absorbed into the noodles so I feel especially warm and satisfied after just one bowl!

3 comments:

Sugaractive said...

(drool)
I love ramen too. You're right, it is the best comfort foods and I too search for it everywhere I go.

I think that the desire for Ramen is practically built in for us Asians. what do you think? :P

Cat said...

I totally agree! I think I can live without rice, but not noodles! Or maybe because we are both Shanghainese? :)

Dizzy Antelope said...

me too, i can do without rice, but not noodles! mmm.... :) my favourite kind is the one in pork bone soup. the best one i've had was in a small noodle shop, right in fukuoka.